Dons extend contract deadline
Aberdeen have given their four contract rebels an extra week to make a decision regarding their future.
By Chris Burton
Last Updated: 01/01/08 12:08pm
Aberdeen have given their four contract rebels an extra week to come to a decision regarding their future.
Defensive duo Zander Diamond and Michael Hart, and midfield pair Chris Clark and Barry Nicholson had been told that they would need to have made a decision by New Year's Day, but that deadline has now been relaxed.
The club wants the situation sorted as quickly as possible to give manager Jimmy Calderwood ample time to find replacements for any players which decide to leave Pittodrie.
However, it has now been decided that no decision will have to be made by the quartet until next Monday.
"We will speak with them again because we need clarification but it's difficult to do that with the hectic schedule we have," Calderwood said.
"That's why we will wait until next Monday to make a final announcement about what is happening. We're hopeful of a positive outcome."
The Dons boss will see his own contract expire in the summer and admitted that he is yet to make his mind up on what his future will hold.
"The chairman, Stewart Milne, and director of football Willie Miller have been busy so it's just a matter of getting together," he said
"I will have to hear what the ambitions are for the club before I make a final decision. I love the club and the city but I want an injection of quality into my team."