Burley hints at Maloney recall
George Burley says Shaun Maloney has played himself back into contention for the World Cup qualifiers.
Last Updated: 25/08/08 4:56pm
Scotland manager George Burley has admitted Celtic's Shaun Maloney has played himself back into contention for the forthcoming 2010 World Cup qualifiers.
Maloney returned to Parkhead last Friday, signing from Aston Villa after a frustrating spell with the Premier League club.
The 25-year-old was in inspired form for the SPL champions just 24 hours later as Gordon Strachan's side claimed a 3-0 win over Falkirk.
Attacking midfielder Maloney failed to be named in Burley's squad for last week's friendly against Northern Ireland.
However, the Scotland boss has intimated that Maloney could be involved for September's fixtures against FYR Macedonia and Iceland after witnessing his impressive display at the weekend.
Burley said: "I didn't forget about Shaun, the problem was he wasn't playing at Aston Villa.
"I was at the game on Saturday and Shaun was excellent so he certainly comes back into my thoughts. It looks as if he has a new lease of life.
"He's back playing which is the important thing because if you are not playing then it is very difficult to maintain sharpness but he certainly looked sharp on Saturday.
"I am going to announce the squad on Wednesday and he comes into consideration."