Jimmy wants Hammell answer
By Alex Livie
Last Updated: 01/01/70 1:00am
Jimmy Calderwood wants an answer from Motherwell defender Steven Hammell.
Aberdeen boss Jimmy Calderwood has told Motherwell defender Steven Hammell that he has a week to decide whether he wants to move to the Granite City.
The Dons chief has set his sights on luring the left back to Pittodrie, but is aware Hammell is weighing up other offers.
Hammell is Calderwood's first choice, but he has other irons in the fire and will look elsewhere if the 24-year-old does not give him an answer this week.
"I've spoken to the lad and know he has other options," Calderwood told the Daily Record. "We simply can't compete financially with the wages available in England.
"I need an early decision because I've got to pursue plan B if Steve is going to join another club."
Hammell, whose present deal with Motherwell expires this summer, admits he is unsure of his next move.
"My contract with Motherwell is up at the end of the month so I'm free to speak to other clubs," he said.
"My agent has also spoken to clubs and I have a few options in England.
"I have held discussions with Jimmy and moving to Aberdeen is something that interests me.
"There is still a new contract on offer at Motherwell and I haven't ruled out signing on with them again.
"I've got to do what is best for me which is why it's important to get things right.
"The next contract I sign will probably be the biggest of my career so I've got to make sure it's the right one.
"I've already given things a lot of thought and will come to a final decision next week."