Kenneth bemoans Chelsea link
By Simon Fudge
Last Updated: 01/01/70 1:00am
Dundee United's Garry Kenneth says being linked with Chelsea disrupted his career.
Dundee United centre-back Garry Kenneth says being linked with a move to Chelsea has disrupted his career.
Kenneth made headlines two years ago as a 17-year-old when The Blues were thought to want the Dundee-born youngster at Stamford Bridge.
The situation prompted former Terrors boss Gordon Chisholm to drop him from the Tannadice Park first-team.
Kenneth, who is currently with the Scotland Under 21 squad for Tuesday's friendly with Germany Under 21s in Cumbernauld, feels he is still paying the price for Chisholm's decision.
"Obviously, it's hard to keep your feet on the ground when you've been linked with Chelsea at the age of 17," Kenneth told the Daily Record.
"At times, it affected me. It gets into your head and you end up thinking about things you shouldn't be.
"But the club you are at is always the priority and Dundee United tried to protect me.
"Gordon Chisholm spoke to me and left me out of the team to try and keep my feet on the ground.
"Looking at it from my point of view, he was trying to keep a level-headed boy away from thoughts of playing in the Premiership.
"That was why he dropped me. Gordon looked at it and felt that was the way to help, but being out made me more determined to do well and get back into the side.
"It's been up and down for me in my career, with being linked with Chelsea one season and not playing at all the next season. That's football, I suppose."
Kenneth will hope a regular run in Craig Levein's side earns him a call-up to the Scotland Under 20 side for this summer's Under 20 World Cup finals in Canada.
The defender helped Archie Gemmill's side reach last year's Under 19 European Championship final before losing to Spain in Poland.