Scottish Premiership: Celtic launch investigation into crowd trouble at Motherwell
Celtic have launched an investigation after fans let off flares and smoke bombs during Friday's 5-0 win at Motherwell.
Last Updated: 07/12/13 3:33pm
Crowd trouble marred Celtic's impressive win over the Steelmen and club officials were 'appalled' after seats were also damaged at Fir Park.
Celtic are set to foot the bill under a reciprocal agreement between clubs but could also find themselves facing a SPFL investigation once the league studies its delegate report.
A Celtic statement read: "Clearly we are appalled by the scenes from last night's match and the actions of a small minority which have again tarnished the great reputation of the club and our supporters on a night when our team produced such a fantastic performance.
"We are currently investigating these events and will update our supporters early next week."
Last month, Celtic chief executive Peter Lawwell warned fans about their conduct after the club was hit with an UEFA charge relating to banners in the home section during the defeat by AC Milan.
The Scottish champions are waiting to find out whether they will be hit with disciplinary action following this latest incident.
Manager Neil Lennon said: "It is unnecessary. I don't see what they bring to the game.
"It's at our end with our goalkeeper there and it's always a worry that by accident someone could get hit or something could get damaged by it.
"I don't see what the turn-on is with it - it does nothing for me. I just don't see what they add to the atmosphere of the game."
Meanwhile, a Police Scotland spokeswoman said: "During the course of the match, 18 smoke bombs, three fireworks, and one flare were set off.
"Significant damage was caused to seats within the ground and we are looking into this matter along with the club to establish the circumstances. There were no arrests made inside the ground."