Sochaux duo set to stay
By Ben Warburton & Laurent Picard
Last Updated: 01/01/70 1:00am
Sochaux have reiterated their desire to keep hold of duo Souleymane Diawara and Ilan.
Sochaux chairman Jean-Claude Plessis has stated that he will do everything within his powers to keep in-demand duo Souleymane Diawara and Ilan at the club.
Senegal international Diawara was quoted as recently as Monday expressing his desire to move to the Premiership, with financially flush side Portsmouth identified as potential suitors.
However, Plessis has gone on record to make clear his wish to keep hold of the 26-year-old.
"We are totally opposed to his departure," Plessis said.
"We would only let him go if we receive a very important sum of money which could help us to sign new talent."
That sum is reported to be around £4,500,000, a figure which would hardly trouble Portsmouth, should they go ahead and lodge a firm bid.
Brazilian striker Ilan has received similar attention, with the rumour-mill going into overdrive at Stade Bonal.
Paris Saint Germain were announced as being close to a deal with the 25-year-old, and a number of Spanish sides have also shown an interest in the player who has notched six goals in 13 appearances so far this term.
Plessis was once again quick to refute such claims.
"Ilan is a gentleman and a smart guy," the Frenchman insisted.
"He told us he would stay at Sochaux."