European Paper Talk: Liverpool close on Thomas Lemar
By Tom Bodell, Football Whispers
Last Updated: 07/03/18 11:56am
Our friends at Football Whispers have scoured the continental media to bring you today's transfer news from across Europe.
Long-term Liverpool transfer target Thomas Lemar appears to be closing in on a move to Anfield. The Reds tried to sign the 2017 Ligue 1 title winner last summer but Monaco rejected their off. Arsenal made a last-ditch bid but were, again, unsuccessful. Now, according to reports, Liverpool and Monaco have agreed a deal in principle to bring the 22-year-old French international to the Premier League. (Le 10 Sport)
Real Madrid coach Zinedine Zidane does not want to sign Tottenham striker Harry Kane this summer. The England international is top of president Florentino Perez's wish-list but Zidane is not convinced by the 24-year-old. Instead, Zidane would like Liverpool forward Mohamned Salah to be this summer's primary Real Madrid transfer target. (Diario Gol)
Chelsea wing-back Marco Alonso has given ex-Barcelona coach Luis Enrique his backing to replace Antonio Conte in the Stamford Bridge dugout next season. "Luis Enrique has shown at Barcelona that he is a great coach with many qualities and I believe he would be good for any club, but I do not know him a lot on a personal level," Alonso said. (Cope)
Paris Saint-Germain's Champions League exit at the hands of Real Madrid on Tuesday night means coach Unai Emery will depart at the end of the season. The question remains, however, over who will replace the Spaniard. One new name in the race is Luis Enrique. The treble-winning former Barcelona coach left the Nou Camp at the end of last season with the intention of taking a year's sabbatical but is expected to return to frontline coaching ahead of next season. (Mundo Deportivo)
Negotiations over Arthur's protracted move from Gremio to Barcelona have broken down. Barca have been in talks with the Brazilian side since the end of last year but discussions have collapsed. The issues are centred around commission payments and the player's wages. Barca won't be too concerned about the breakdown as both of their non-EU squad spaces are filled currently. Arthur was not due to arrive until January 2019 but a deal now appears to be dead. (Marca)
Spanish midfielder Dani Ceballos has been out of favour at Real Madrid for much of the season and looks set to leave the Bernabeu this summer - just a year after joining from Real Betis. One option for the Spain Under-21 international is Roma. Sporting director Monchi was a fan of Ceballos while working at Sevilla and could renew his interest when the window re-opens. (Corriere dello Sport)
Gianluigi Buffon has revealed his future already is already decided - but he has yet to tell coach Max Allegri whether he will continue or not. Last week the goalkeeper's agent said Buffon could play for another two years. "The reflections have been made, with the president we just have to see, our ideas fit together, but this is not the right stage," Buffon said. "I would not make the coach nervous, we are at the height of the season." (Gazzetta dello Sport)
Benfica midfielder Bryan Cristante has impressed on loan at Juventus this season, so much so that he has emerged as a West Ham, Liverpool, Watford and Arsenal transfer target. The 22-year-old is expected to sign for Atalanta permanently this summer as things stand. (Tuttosport)
Juventus will not entertain the idea of selling Colombian winger Juan Cuadrado who has been subject of Arsenal and Paris Saint-Germain transfer rumours. The 29-year-old was a flop in the Premier League previously with Chelsea but has reinvented himself in Italy and has been in fine form again this season with three goals and four assists in Serie A. For that reason the Bianconeri will not sell at any price. (Calciomercato)
Bayern Munich defender David Alaba has admitted he could leave the club at the end of the season after Barcelona rekindled their interest in the 25-year-old. Long linked with a move to the Nou Camp, the Austrian said: "I am aware that this decision will come to me. I still feel very comfortable here, but I can also imagine taking a different path, taking the next step or looking for a new challenge. But I leave that decision open. I have goals for this season that I want to achieve, so there's no room for that right now." (Kurier)
The firesale at Hamburg looks to be underway with the only side never to have been relegated from the Bundesliga sitting second bottom, seven points from safety. Left-back Douglas Santos is interesting Dutch side PSV Eindhoven while winger Andre Hahn could be on his way to Augsburg. Keeper Julian Pollersbeck, meanwhile, is wanted by Cologne and Eintracht Frankfurt. (Sportbild)
Fantasy Football is back!
Fantasy just got real. Pick your Sky Sports Fantasy Football team for free here.