Brazil to appeal against Neymar's Copa America ban
Last Updated: 20/06/15 7:19pm
Brazil have confirmed they will appeal against the four-game suspension which has ruled their talisman and Barcelona star Neymar out of the rest of Copa America.
Neymar was banned for headbutting after the final whistle in Brazil's 1-0 midweek defeat to Colombia and they have a maximum of four games left in the tournament if they are to reach the final.
The Brazil captain was initially banned for one game after being sent-off for kicking the ball at Colombia's Pablo Armero. The incident sparked a mass brawl and Neymar headbutted another opposition player for which he received the extra sanction.
In addition to his ban a South American confederation disciplinary panel also fined the 23-year-old $10,000 (£8,800).
Whatever happens with the appeal, Liverpool playmaker Phillipe Coutinho will play in Neymar's place against Venezuela in Chile on Sunday.
There should just be an equal judgement for everyone in the tournament
Brazil coach Dunga said: "We don't want anything in our favour, we don't want anything against us, we just want it to be balanced. There should just be an equal judgement for everyone in the tournament."
Dunga said his team was seeking only "what's fair".
Group C is finely balanced with Brazil, Colombia, Peru and Venezuela all level on one win and one defeat so far.
"Neymar is a football personality and the punishment was very big. Of course we all love football and we want to see him on the pitch, not just Neymar but (Alexis) Sanchez, (Lionel) Messi, (Angel) di Maria," Dunga added.