Baptista backs Ronaldo
By Lucas Brown
Last Updated: 01/01/70 1:00am
Julio Baptista does not believe Ronaldo is a victim of the new president's shake-up.Julio Baptista does not believe Ronaldo is the first victim of the new president's shake-up at Real Madrid, after the Brazilian striker was left out of the squad for the derby against Atletico Madrid this weekend.
After Florentino Perez resigned on Monday, Fernando Martin took over at the helm and stated that all the players must start showing commitment to the team and have a desire to play for Real.
Ronaldo was left out of the squad to face Atleti and this has only added to rumours that he is one of the players who will be sold at the end of the season.
Baptista does not agree that his compatriot is being targeted and thinks that the break will only make him fresher for the UEFA Champions League clash with Arsenal next Wednesday.
"I do not think that he is paying the price for what happened earlier this week," Baptista said. "If he is not in the team this time, I am sure he will be for the next game.
"He will be rested before the Arsenal match and the break will do him good. He will need all his strength for the game on Wednesday.
"At his best, Ronaldo is the greatest striker in the world and I have not seen him angry about this."
Beating Atletico would lift spirits at El Santiago Bernabeu and Baptista is confident that they have enough quality to turn their season around, starting with a derby victory.
"With the quality at Real Madrid we can make everything better," he said. "It depends on our concentration and our unity. If we go into the game strongly then the fans will be behind us.
"We have to play well and have a good game, because at the moment the three points are the most important thing."