Amato won't be rushed
By Alex Livie
Last Updated: 01/01/70 1:00am
Italy's interior minister Giuliano Amato will not be rushed into a swift resumption.
Italy's interior minister Giuliano Amato has stressed the government will not be forced into making a snap decision on when to sanction the resumption of football in the country.
Football at all levels of the game was suspended indefinitely last week after the death of police officer Filippo Raciti at the Sicily derby between Catania and Palermo.
Serie A and B club chairmen stated on Tuesday that they would be ready to resume playing at the weekend, but Amato says the government will have the final say.
"From the football world we will have a lot of pressure for the show to continue," said Amato.
"We have the duty towards our law enforcers and the citizens to resist these pressures.
"The well-being of Italian families is more important than the economic interests of those who want the show to continue."
The government are debating a number of measures, but Palermo president Maurizio Zamparini says they would object to games being played behind closed doors.
"We agree with banning fans from travelling to away games - this should reduce the number of problems," he said. "But we are all against playing behind closed doors."
Atalanta president Ivan Ruggeri is another opposed to playing games behind closed doors.
"If this is confirmed I will propose to the League not to play," said Ruggeri. "I don't think it's fair for us to be hindered like this. I understand that it is a serious problem and we are all very hurt by what has happened.
"But, frankly, I believe this decision is excessive. It would mean that 95 per cent of the games will be staged without fans."