Leverkusen reject Helmes reports
Bayer Leverkusen executive Wolfgang Holzhauser has denied the club are trying to sell Patrick Helmes.
By Thomas Zocher
Last Updated: 18/01/11 1:55pm
Bayer Leverkusen executive Wolfgang Holzhauser has denied the club are negotiating the sale of Germany international striker Patrick Helmes.
Reports have suggested that under-pressure Wolfsburg boss Steve McClaren wants to sign the 26-year-old as a replacement for Edin Dzeko following the Bosnian's move to Manchester City.
But despite Helmes' problems in front of goal in the Bundesliga, where he has scored just five times this season, Holzhauser has no plans to talk about a transfer.
Holzhauser told spox.com: "Patrick Helmes is a player of our club and definitely part of our future plans at BayArena, even though he is not having the best of time at our club at the moment.
"We have no plans to sell him. We do not intend to ship him off our books."
Earlier in January, Leverkusen signed Germany youth international Karim Bellarabi, 20, from third division side Eintracht Braunschweig on a deal which runs from the end of the season until the June of 2014.
"We're extremely happy that we've managed to sign Karim Bellarabi," sporting director Rudi Voller told his club's official website.
"We see him as an important player for the future. He's a great talent and we'll give him the chance to develop into a better player at Leverkusen."
Leverkusen returned to action after the winter break against runaway Bundesliga leaders Borussia Dortmund on Friday and saw their fading title hopes dented by an error-strewn 3-1 home defeat.