Hefty ban for Douglas
FC Twente defender Douglas has been handed a six-match ban by the KNVB for his conduct against AZ.
Last Updated: 01/03/11 3:38pm
FC Twente defender Douglas has been handed a six-match ban by the Dutch Football Association (KNVB) for his conduct against AZ at the weekend.
The 23-year-old centre-back was shown a red card during his side's 2-1 defeat at the DSB Stadion on Sunday after allegedly punching AZ forward Pontus Wernbloom.
Douglas then lost his temper and pushed referee Ruud Bossen away before lashing out further at Wernbloom, prompting action from the KNVB.
The ban extends a five-game suspension Twente had already imposed on the Brazilian stopper, as well as hitting him with a hefty fine.
The Dutch giants have accepted the KNVB's decision to reprimand Douglas further and will not appeal the punishment.
Douglas told the club's official website: "After the red card I responded too emotionally. I did not have to.
"I accept the penalty imposed by FC Twente, because I have brought the club into disrepute."
The defender's suspension strikes an untimely blow for second-placed Twente as they bid for Eredivisie success this season, but club chairman Joop Munsterman insists the club had to act.
He said: "Emotions are part of football but it is totally unacceptable that this has happened at FC Twente."
Twente manager Michel Preud'homme added: "I support the ruling of the club.
"During the course of a match emotions can run away with us but that should never have happened.
"It does not fit with the culture of FC Twente."