Reiziger quits Dutch scene
By Mark Buckingham
Last Updated: 01/01/70 1:00am
Reiziger has given distinguished service to the Dutch team down the years and his swansong proved to be the Euro 2004 semi-final defeat to Portugal.
The experienced full back signed for Boro last month from Barcelona and has now made the decision to concentrate on his club career.
Van Basten confirmed Reiziger had informed of his decision while revealing he also attempted to persuade Milan stopper Stam to come back in to the international set-up after he quit following the European Championship.
"After his transfer to Middlesbrough, it has all become too much for him and he told me he would quit the national team," said van Basten.
"He (Stam) sent a letter to us in which he said there was no use contacting him about a return because he wants to spend the free Wednesdays with his family."
In addition to Reiziger and Stam, Frank De Boer and Marc Overmars are also missing from van Basten's first squad after retiring.
The former international striker commences his coaching career with a friendly against Sweden on August 18 and he has named a provisional 25-man squad.
Manchester United marksman Ruud van Nistelrooy is absent as he is suspended for the opening two 2006 World Cup qualifiers and van Basten wants to assess other options.
Van der Sar (Fulham), Stekelenburg (Ajax), Westerveld (Real Sociedad); Bouma (PSV Eindhoven), van Bronckhorst (Barcelona), Heitinga, de Jong (Ajax), Hofland (Wolfsburg), Kromkamp (AZ Alkmaar); Van Bommel, Cocu (PSV Eindhoven), Bosschaart (Feyenoord), Davids (Internazionale), Landzaat (AZ Alkmaar), Sneijder, van der Vaart (Ajax), Zenden (Middlesbrough); Castelen, Kuyt (Feyenoord), van Hooijdonk (Fenerbahce), Kluivert (Newcastle), Makaay (Bayern Munich), van der Meyde (Internazionale), van Persie (Arsenal), Robben (Chelsea)