Paul di Resta says Force India will feature few changes between now and Australia
Scot explains team won't rush through stream of updates
By James Galloway in Barcelona
Last Updated: 28/02/13 8:13pm
The final week of pre-season track action is traditionally the one where teams bolt on their definitive aerodynamic configurations for the first race, while some of the grid's larger teams also continue to bring new parts on stream right up to the opening weekend.
With poor weather at Barcelona on Day One, and further rain forecast for Friday, it's unlikely to be until the final two days of testing this weekend when teams begin to reveal what they have planned for Melbourne - with Lotus's James Allison, for example, telling reporters that his team have "a lot of new bits to bolt on the car" over the final three days.
Force India, however, appear to be adopting a slightly different approach, with di Resta explaining that they were prioritising fully understanding the VJM06 in its current spec, rather than potentially confusing the picture by fitting a succession of new parts in one go.
"There's things slowly going on the car, but essentially I think this is the car that we'll be racing in Melbourne, what we arrived here with," he told Sky Sports News.
"We're looking to maximise what we can from that. I think that's something we did last year - rather than getting carried away with upgrades coming, let's understand the package we've got and slowly but surely introduce things that are going to benefit it in the right way."
Having finished last season as the form team in F1's midfield, di Resta has targeted a stronger start to 2013 for Force India and then a repeat of last year's late-season development push.
The Scot thinks they are indeed ahead of where they were at the same stage with the 2012 car - but stressed there are still a lot of improvements to be made.
"I think we're further forward at this point than we were last year, so that's a positive to take," di Resta added.
"But we're fully focused on making it faster because we've still got three days ahead of ourselves before the car gets shipped to Melbourne. That's when it counts and that's where we need to arrive in good shape."
While Force India experienced a low-key day on track - di Resta using the rainy weather to assess Pirelli's two wet tyre types - off of it the team finally confirmed the sport's worst kept secret by announcing the return of Adrian Sutil to their race line-up.
Di Resta said he was happy to reunite with his 2011 team-mate, although expressed some sadness for the man who missed out on the seat - Jules Bianchi.
"It's nice for all the media not to keep asking me!" he said when asked for his response to the confirmation of Sutil.
"But I welcome Adrian back: I said whoever the team chose I'd be very supportive. Jules was close to us as well and you've got to feel a bit sorry for where he is, but I think Adrian [and I] will work well together.
"We're good friends, we'll work away together, we'll push the team on. The board have taken the decision he's the right person they want to represent Sahara Force India and the good relationship will start from where it left off in 2011. At the end of the day it is competitive and I want to come out on top."