Reckless Abandon set for York before QIPCO British Champions Sprint at Ascot
Last Updated: 28/08/14 10:01am
Reckless Abandon is set to stop off at York on his way towards a potential tilt at the QIPCO British Champions Sprint at Ascot following an encouraging return to action.
After suffering fertility problems, it was announced earlier this year that the dual Group One winner would return to training under the tutelage of Godolphin handler Charlie Appleby.
The former Clive Cox inmate made his comeback in Saturday's Hopeful Stakes at Newmarket and performed with credit to finish a close third, offering connections plenty of hope for the rest of the campaign.
Appleby said: "We were very happy with him and he seems to have come out of the race very well. We'll potentially look to go towards Champions Day at Ascot, but we would like to get one more run into him before then.
"There is a Listed race at York on September 7 that we are looking at and if all goes well there, we'll look towards at Ascot.
"The jockey was very happy with him the other day. He said he had a nice blow a furlong out and then ran on again, so we're happy with him.
"When horses come back from stud duties there is also a question mark over whether their mind is on the job, but he obviously showed he still has the enthusiasm and plenty of ability."
Should the Godolphin team decide on an Ascot outing, Reckless Abandon would have to be supplemented for the October 18 race.