Isaac Makwala outraged after being forced to sit out 400m final
Last Updated: 09/08/17 7:14am
The IAAF has come under criticism after the exclusion of Botswana medal hope Isaac Makwala from Tuesday night's 400m final at the World Championships.
Makwala was not allowed to compete on medical grounds following a bout of norovirus.
The 30-year-old had been expected to challenge favourite and Olympic champion Wayde van Niekerk, who went on to comfortably defend his world title at the London Stadium.
Video footage showed Makwala was prevented from entering the warm-up track and Botswanan officials criticised the IAAF for their heavy-handedness and lack of communication.
Makwala told ITV News: "They said I had food poisoning - which I don't have. I was not tested for that.
"They didn't even want to listen to me. They said 'no, you can't run because you are sick.'
"Sometimes I think maybe this is sabotage."
Athletics' world governing body defended its decision, saying it was taken to contain the contagious illness.
The IAAF said in a statement issued moments before the final: "The IAAF is very sorry that the hard work and talent of Isaac Makwala won't be on display tonight but we have to think of the welfare of all athletes.
"The athlete was diagnosed with an infectious disease on Monday.
"As per UK health regulations, it was requested that he be quarantined in his room for 48 hours, a period which ends at 1400hrs tomorrow (August 9).
"These procedures are recommended by Public Health England and were clearly explained to the teams in writing on Sunday (August 6) and in person to the Botswanan delegation, a member of which was present with many other representatives of teams at a meeting that took place at the Guoman Tower Hotel on Sunday."
Simon O'Brien of the Botswana medical team told the BBC on Tuesday night: "He (Makwala) has got normal heart rate, normal body temperature.
"I believe there has been a slight confusion. On the medical report which I collected this morning, at the beginning it said that Isaac had said to the doctor that he had vomited at 10pm the previous evening.
"At 10pm the previous evening he was sat with me receiving treatment. He said ' I never said that to the doctor, I never said I vomited at 10pm'.
"No testing has been done. We sent messages to the IAAF saying we want our athlete to compete."