Salford Red Devils owner Marwan Koukash interested in NRL club Newcastle Knights
Last Updated: 16/07/14 3:31pm
Salford Red Devils chairman Marwan Koukash has confirmed his interest in buying struggling NRL club Newcastle Knights.
Koukash saved Salford from financial ruin in 2013 and now he looks set to repeat the feat in the NRL with the Knights.
The 55-year-old former Palestinian refugee, who earned his fortune after setting up EuroMaTech, confirmed on Twitter that tentative takeover talks have taken place.
"I would confirm that there has been some contact with an NRL team but it is very early days," Koukash tweeted.
"My absolute focus remains on the Red Devils."
The news was broken by former Wigan and Newcastle stand-off Matthew Johns who said on his Australian radio show that Koukash was "absolutely desperate" to buy Newcastle.
The Australian club were left in a precarious financial position after billionaire owner Nathan Tinkler relinquished ownership of the club in May.
The NRL took over the Knights in June and owns 80 per cent of the club under the new model, with the Members Club owning the remaining 20 per cent.