Summer Internationals: South Africa centre Juan de Jongh ruled out for four weeks
Last Updated: 13/06/14 2:13pm
South Africa centre Juan de Jongh has been ruled out of this month’s Tests against Wales Scotland.
De Jongh was admitted to hospital on Sunday and treated for pneumonia before he was discharged on Thursday.
The Stormers star is the fifth centre to drop out of international contention in the last month. He joins captain Jean de Villiers (knee), Frans Steyn (withdrew), Damian de Allende (knee) and Jaque Fourie (ankle) on the sidelines, leaving the Boks to start Saturday's first test against Wales with converted wing JP Pietersen at outside centre and Jan Serfontein, earning his first start, on the inside.
The team's medical staff said the severity of De Jongh's illness meant he had to be rested.
Team doctor Craig Roberts said: "Unfortunately this infection really takes a severe toll on the body and although he has recovered sufficiently, he has been advised not to participate in vigorous physical activity for the next three to four weeks.”
Uncapped Sharks centre Paul Jordaan and veteran Montpellier midfielder Wynand Olivier have been called up to the squad.
De Jongh is the latest addition to a long list of injured players unavailable for selection against Wales in Durban on Saturday and a week later in Nelspruit, as well as a one-off fixture against Scotland in Port Elizabeth on June 28.
The others are Eben Etzebeth (foot), Pat Lambie (bicep), Frans Malherbe (concussion), Scarra Ntubeni (foot), Frik Kirsten (neck), Pieter-Steph du Toit (knee), Franco van der Merwe (ankle), Arno Botha (knee), Pierre Spies (bicep), Louis Schreuder (hand) and Gio Aplon (elbow).
Watch South Africa v Wales live on Sky Sports 1 on Saturday from 3.30pm