Peter O'Mahony keen to have deal done with IRFU and Munster, or new club, by New Year
By Andy Charles
Last Updated: 05/12/17 6:12am
Peter O'Mahony admits he will have to consider offers from clubs in England and France if no new deal with the IRFU is sorted by January.
The Munster captain hopes an improved national contract can be agreed before January 1 but, even though it would be tough to move overseas, he says his long-term future has to be considered.
O'Mahony's Ireland contract expires in July and the Irish Times reported on Monday that one French club has offered to double the 28-year-old's current deal.
Munster have already lost the services of winger Simon Zebo to Racing 92 and key back-row forward CJ Stander is in the same contractual boat as O'Mahony.
All three could also be lost to Ireland, although head coach Joe Schmidt has said there is no strict policy on not picking players who ply their trade overseas - Schmidt termed it more of "an intention" when asked the question last month.
"This time of the year you get offers from clubs in France and England," O'Mahony said.
"Look, I'm going to leave my agents to sort all that side of it. It's very important for me to concentrate on two big tests this weekend and the following weekend against Leicester.
"I'm hoping to have it wrapped up one way or the other regardless by the New Year to be honest.
"It's professional sport, it's a short career, and as I said hopefully it will be done by the new year one way or the other. That's for my agents to deal with. I'll leave it at that."