Justin Burnell targeting more signings for London Welsh despite summer influx
Last Updated: 16/06/14 4:18pm
London Welsh boss Justin Burnell says there could be further signings this summer despite a huge overhaul of the squad ahead of next season.
The Exiles confirmed a list of 25 players leaving the club on Monday following a recruitment drive that has already brought 15 new players through the Old Deer Park doors.
But Burnell has targeted a new scrum-half after Chris Cook returned to Bath following a loan spell and Tyson Keats left the club, with a loan deal for Bristol's new signing Dwayne Peel believed to be a possibility.
"In regard to new signings at the club, we have confirmed 15 additions to our squad for next season, but I would reiterate that we are still actively looking to further strengthen that squad for the huge challenge that the Aviva Premiership poses," said Burnell, who also confirmed the 23 current players retained for next term.
"Last season's success was based purely on the squad environment we created at the club. We rotated our squad throughout the season and never fielded the same starting 15 in consecutive games.
"I'd like to thank all of the boys who are leaving the club this summer and wish them all the very best for the future."
Former Scotland fly-half Gordon Ross will continue his dual player-coach role next term, with two-cap England midfielder Tom May also remaining at the club.
Will Spencer has returned to Bath along with scrum-half Cook, while Tom Bristow is back at parent club Leicester and Nathan Morris at Wasps.
Former England, Bath and Gloucester centre Ollie Barkley tops the list of Welsh signings so far this summer, joining from the Scarlets.