Home team Score Away Team


  • Richards, Hansen,
    Goals: Richards (2),
12 - 13


  • Watkins,
    Goals: Sinfield (4),
    Drop goals: Sinfield,
  • First Utility Super League
  • Qualifying Semi-Final
  • 28th Sep 2012
  • KO 20:00
  • Att: 8,235

Leeds Rhinos return to Super League Grand Final after thrilling win at Wigan Warriors

Last updated: 29th September 2012   Subscribe to RSS Feed

Epalahame Lauaki Wigan v Leeds Super League play off SF 2012

Wigan's Epalahame Lauaki on the charge

Ian Kirke tackled by Matty Smith Wigan v Leeds Super League play off SF 2012

Rhinos forward Ian Kirke is tackled by Matty Smith

Related links


Kevin Sinfield kicked a penalty four minutes from time to take champions Leeds back to Old Trafford with a 13-12 victory at Wigan.

The Rhinos were on the back foot throughout a frantic second half but held on before earning a late chance for their skipper.

And just as he had done in last year's semi-final at table-topping Warrington, Sinfield held his nerve to lead the Rhinos to a fifth Grand Final in six years.

Wigan were dealt a late blow when Sam Tomkins was ruled out just hours before kick-off with a knee injury, so 20-year-old Jack Murphy was called on to step in.

And it was a crucial error from the youngster which led to that late match-winning penalty.

He failed to deal with Sinfield's high bomb and with the Wigan defenders streaming back, a quick play-the-ball from Ryan Hall led almost inevitably to an offside.

Sinfield knocked over the two points and the table-toppers had once again been toppled by fifth-placed Leeds a game away from Old Trafford.

The Leeds defence was superb throughout, particularly in a first half they dominated.

They scored the only try after 13 minutes as Brett Finch's pass went to ground and Kallum Watkins scooped up the loose ball and raced 90 metres to score, with Sinfield adding the extras.

Wigan had just one chance in the opening 40 minutes, but Gareth Hock's pass was dropped by Pat Richards.


Leeds were content to thrive on pressure, swarming around Wigan's runners and taking points when they got inside the Wigan half.

Sinfield kicked two penalties - one for interference the other for offside - as well as a drop-goal which was to ultimately prove to be the difference between the sides.

Inevitably Wigan came out fast after the break and quickly got their reward after Sean O'Loughlin's break set up the chance for Tommy Leuluai to put Harrison Hansen in, with Richards converting.

Just past the hour mark Shaun Lunt was harshly ruled to have knocked on inside his own 20 and Brett Finch supplied the pass for Richards to slide in at the corner, with the winger edging Wigan ahead from the touchline.

Somehow Leeds survived frenzied Wigan pressure in the final quarter to stay in touch.

Their reward came in the final moments, although there was still time for Josh Charnley to break clear. Hall could easily have been penalised for holding his opposite number down as the Leeds defence streamed back, but the whistle stayed silent and Leeds are back in the Grand Final.

Sky Bet Odds:

Click Here for Your Free Bet

First Utility Super League Table

First Utility Super League Table - March 26 2015
Pos Team P Pts
1 St Helens 6 12
2 Leeds Rhinos 6 10
3 Warrington Wolves 6 8
4 Salford Red Devils 7 7
5 Huddersfield Giants 6 6
6 Catalans Dragons 6 5
7 Wigan Warriors 6 5
8 Widnes Vikings 7 5
9 Castleford Tigers 6 4
10 Hull FC 6 4
11 Hull K R 6 4
12 Wakefield Wildcats 6 4

Experts & Blogs



Read the thoughts and opinions of Stevo with skysports.com