Home team Away Team

Melbourne Rebels

  • Higginbotham,
    Penalty goals: O'Connor (2),
    Conversions: O'Connor,
13 - 30


  • Rathbone, Mowen, Coleman, Mogg,
    Penalty goals: Lealifano (2),
    Conversions: Lealifano (2),
  • Super Rugby
  • Overall Group
  • 22nd Feb 2013
  • KO 08:40
  • Ground: AAMI Park, Melbourne

Super Rugby: The Brumbies made to two wins from two games with victory over the Rebels

Last updated: 24th February 2013   Subscribe to RSS Feed

Scott Higginbotham Rebels v Brumbies 2013 Melbourne

Scott Higginbotham: Runs in to score for the Rebels

Jesse Mogg Rebels v Brumbies 2013 Melbourne

Jesse Mogg made it three tries in two games

Related links


Also see

The Brumbies produced a dominant second-half display to beat the Rebels 30-13 in Melbourne.

Jake White's side, who beat the Reds in their opening match of the Super Rugby season, had trailed 13-7 after 34 minutes.

However they racked up 23 unanswered points to wrap up a bonus-point win.

The in-form Jesse Mogg had opened the scoring but it was Clyde Rathbone's 35th-minute try that kick-started their challenge.

Ben Mowen and Robbie Coleman crossed for tries after the interval as the pressure told, while Christian Lealiifano landed 10 points.

The Rebels, who edged out the Reds last week, had looked well set as eight points from James O'Connor and Scott Higginbotham's first try for the franchise had put them into the lead.

However injuries to a number of key players - including O'Connor and Kurtley Beale - hampered their cause, while Jarrod Saffy was sin-binned.

Flying start

The Brumbies had got off to a flying start as Mogg scored his third try in two games after just five minutes. The full-back chipped over the Rebels defence and then outpaced O'Connor and Nic Phipps to get his hands to the ball first. Lealiifano added the extras.

The Rebels, though, were enjoying more of possession and territory and having missed an earlier effort, O'Connor got the Rebels up and running with a penalty after 15 minutes.

Three minutes later and the hosts were in front as Higginbotham scored following an impressive break and offload from O'Connor.

O'Connor converted and added another penalty to put the Rebels clear.

However the Brumbies cut the deficit to just a point, with Rathbone finishing superbly in the corner for his first try since returning to Super Rugby after a three-year absence.

Lealiifano missed the conversion but he was on target after the interval with two penalties to give the visitors the lead.

However the decisive score came when Mowen scooped up a loose ball and galloped clear when Alex Rokobaro failed to gather Matt Toomua's up and under. Lealiifano converted.

Any hopes of the Rebels staging a fightback soon vanished as Saffy was sinbinned with 12 minutes left for deliberately killing the ball.

And the Brumbies rubbed salt in the wounds when replacement Coleman burrowed over after a sustained spell of pressure on the Rebels line.

Sky Bet Odds:

Click Here for Your Free Bet

Experts & Blogs

Phil Edwards

Phil Edwards

Read the thoughts and opinions of Phil Edwards with skysports.com