Home team Away Team


  • Ford,
    Penalty goals: Ford (4),
    Conversions: Ford,
19 - 19


  • Elliott,
    Penalty goals: Myler (4),
    Conversions: Myler,
  • Aviva Premiership
  • 2nd May 2014
  • KO 19:45
  • Ground: The Recreation Ground
  • Att: 11,978

Aviva Premiership: Bath held by Northampton Saints

Last updated: 2nd May 2014   Subscribe to RSS Feed

George Pisi Northampton Saints Anthony Watson Jonathan Joseph Bath Aviva Premiership Recreation Ground

George Pisi: Northampton Saints centre is tackled by Jonathan Joseph (left) and Anthony Watson

Aviva Premiership George Ford Bath Recreation Ground

George Ford: Bath stand-off scored all his side's points, including solo try

Related links






Also see

Bath and Northampton played out a 19-19 draw under the Recreation Ground floodlights, a result which leaves several Aviva Premiership play-off issues unresolved.

Second-placed Saints are not absolutely sure of a home semi-final and Bath, in third, can still be denied a play-off place by Harlequins, who they meet next Saturday in the final round of games.

The highlight of an incident-packed game was a stunning individual try by Bath fly-half George Ford, who was responsible for all his side's points. Saints' try was scored by left wing Jamie Elliott with Stephen Myler's boot responsible for the rest of their points.


The game ended in controversy when Courtney Lawes was flagged by touch judge Ashley Rowden for a late hit on Ford, within kicking range. But referee Matthew Carley over-ruled him after checking the TV replay.

Northampton, buoyed by a fifth minute penalty from Myler, spent the first quarter camped in and around the Bath 22. The pressure was unrelenting as the home defence was forced to repulse wave after wave of attacks.

It was one of many do-or-die tackles that ended Rob Webber's match after just 16 minutes, the hooker getting his knee trapped as he felled number eight Sam Dickinson. It was agonisingly bad luck for Webber only just back from a 10-week absence with ankle trouble.

Ross Batty came off the bench and immediately got stuck in to his defensive duties and Bath were relieved to see a drop goal attempt by Myler drift wide.

Although rarely out of their own half, the one ray of hope for Bath was in their scrummaging which earned them a penalty which Ford kicked to the corner. Saints stopped the catch-and-drive but eventually had to confront the Bath scrum again and folded under pressure, allowing Ford to kick an equalising penalty on 29 minutes.

Myler's hanging restart gave rise to another 'tackle in the air' ruling by the TMO but only a penalty rather than a yellow card against Dave Attwood - and Myler's kick was wide anyway. Almost straight away the fly-half was offered a simpler chance to put Northampton 6-3 ahead.

The lead was short-lived however as Bath, winning more ball in the visitors' half and looking more confident as a result, forced Saints to drift offside at a ruck and Ford was on target again. He might have given his side a half-time lead but was wide with a drop goal attempt with the last kick of the half.

Bath came out all guns firing after the break. Ford was wide with a penalty kick but did not let that faze him as he responded with a brilliant individual try on 45 minutes.

Referee Carley was playing advantage to Bath when Ford evaded a lunging tackle by Lawes, slipped between two more Northampton forwards and outpaced Ben Foden to score by the posts, then converted his own try.

The lead lasted only eight minutes though as Northampton forced a succession of penalties to build pressure in the Bath 22 and Myler deftly slipped a pass to Jamie Elliott to finish off in the left corner. Myler drew the sides level with the conversion.


Unfortunately for Bath, Batty joined Webber on the sidelines with a shoulder injury, which left only replacement loosehead Nathan Catt to fill in at hooker - and he was prepared to scrummage too. Bath won the resulting penalty and Ford banged it over from nearly 50 metres.

Northampton then lost Lawes to the sin-bin for needlessly taking out Anthony Watson off the ball as the match entered the last quarter.

They were still dangerous, as George Pisi showed by touching down from a ball by Elliott but the score was disallowed for a forward pass. It was left to Myler again to level the scores at 16-16 with a 67th minute penalty.

With flanker Guy Mercer now tasked with line-out throwing, Bath's set piece was now anything but an advantage. Ford again attempted a drop goal with five minutes remaining but the effort was mis-hit.

With the tireless Carl Fearns continuing to batter away in midfield, Bath forced a priceless penalty at the breakdown and Ford made it 19-16 with two minutes remaining.

The drama did not end there as Anthony Perenise was shown a yellow card for a dangerous tackle on Mike Hayward. Myler stepped up and converted the penalty to earn the draw.

Aviva Premiership. Click here to bet.
Forthcoming Aviva Premiership Fixtures
Aviva Premiership
Friday 27th February
Aviva Premiership
19:45Northampton vs Harlequins
Saturday 28th February
14:30London Welsh vs London Irish
15:00Saracens vs Newcastle Falcons
15:00Leicester Tigers vs Sale Sharks
15:15Exeter vs Bath
Sunday 1st March
13:00Wasps vs Gloucester
Friday 6th March
19:45Bath vs Sale
Saturday 7th March
15:00Exeter vs London Welsh
15:00Harlequins vs London Irish
15:15Gloucester vs Northampton
Sunday 8th March
14:00Wasps vs Saracens
15:00Newcastle vs Leicester
Friday 27th March
19:45Northampton vs Wasps
Saturday 28th March
15:00London Irish vs Newcastle
15:00Leicester vs Exeter
15:15Saracens vs Harlequins
Sunday 29th March
14:00Sale vs Gloucester
14:30London Welsh vs Bath
Friday 10th April
19:45Newcastle vs Bath
Saturday 11th April
15:00Harlequins vs Gloucester
15:15Saracens vs Leicester
Sunday 12th April
14:00Exeter vs Northampton
14:30London Welsh vs Wasps
15:00London Irish vs Sale
Saturday 25th April
14:00Sale vs Harlequins

Experts & Blogs

Phil Edwards

Phil Edwards

Read the thoughts and opinions of Phil Edwards with skysports.com