Perez plays down Ferrari link
Speculation suggests Sauber driver could replace Massa
Last Updated: 28/05/12 4:59pm
Sergio discusses his Australian GP with Ted Kravitz
Sergio Perez has played down fresh reports linking him with a move from Sauber to Ferrari.
THE ONLY PLACE TO BE
Sky Sports F1 HD is THE only place to watch the 2012 Formula One season in full. We will have live and exclusive coverage of the Malaysian Grand Prix starting with P1 on Friday.
FRIDAY - P1 from 1.45am. P2 from 5.45am
SATURDAY - P3 from 4.45am. Q from 7am
SUNDAY - Race from 7.30am
To find out all the different ways to watch the action, click here
After impressing in the season-opening race in Melbourne, the young Mexican has once again been widely tipped to replace Felipe Massa, who did not manage a single podium finish last year and was significantly off the pace in Australia.
Perez is part of Ferrari's Young Driver Programme and tested for the team at the end of last year, but, speaking in Malaysia, he insisted he was committed to Sauber after an encouraging eighth-place finish at Albert Park.
When asked about the speculation he could transfer to Ferrari, the 22-year-old said: "They are only rumours. It is only the first race of the season, so its very early to say this or speculate.
"I am very focused with my team, with Sauber, and we have a great car."
Reports in the Italian media have suggested that Brazil's Massa, who joined Ferrari in 2006, could be the first Ferrari driver to be axed in mid-season in twenty years.
For his part, Massa - who will be driving a new chassis this weekend in Malaysia - has insisted he is unaffected by the speculation about his future.
"I really don't care. I don't drive thinking about what others are thinking or saying about me," he said after his arrival at Sepang.
"I'm doing my job, thinking about doing my best in the car, which is not what happened in Australia."