Megson holds Anelka hope
Chelsea still trying to agree deal for striker
Last Updated: 09/01/08 7:47am
Anelka: Wanted by Chelsea
Gary Megson is remaining hopeful that Chelsea will fail to meet Bolton Wanderers' valuation of Nicolas Anelka.
Chelsea have had an opening offer rejected by Bolton, but are planning a renewed effort to sign the French striker.
Speaking after his side's Carling Cup semi-final win over Everton on Tuesday night, Blues boss Avram Grant told Sky Sports that he hoped to sign the striker before Saturday's Premier League game with Tottenham.
Grant's Bolton counterpart Megson has discussed the situation with Anelka, who has previously voiced his desire to play for a UEFA Champions League club.
But, with talks between the two clubs set to continue, Megson is keeping his fingers crossed that Chelsea do not come up with a suitable offer.
"Nic's been into my office this morning and we have spoken about the situation we are all in," Megson told the Bolton News.
"We just agreed that there was not a massive amount that he could do or I could do. It's just between the two clubs on whether they can get an agreement.
"They have not been able to match what we want for him and I am still hopeful they can't and Nic stays here.
"Any deal has to suit three parties. It has to be right for us, for Chelsea and for Nic.
"If he does go, it has to be for the right reasons."