Jovanovic meets with Anderlecht
Serbian holds talks in bid to end Anfield nightmare
Last Updated: 09/07/11 8:27am
Jovanovic: The forward has also been linked with FC Brugge
Milan Jovanovic has revealed that he has met with Anderlecht officials to discuss his transfer from Liverpool.
The former Standard Liege forward has already been told that he can leave Anfield for free after just one year, with the Premier League club reportedly prepared to pay off his £60,000-a-week wages.
It is understood a January approach from Wolfsburg was turned down, but FC Brugge and Anderlecht are now thought to have offered Jovanovic a route out of Liverpool, where he has proved a failure under both Roy Hodgson and Kenny Dalglish.
Rafa Benitez, who preceded Hodgson, agreed the deal to sign the Serbian, but he was given limited opportunities to impress in the Premier League last season.
It seems certain Jovanovic will leave this summer, particularly with director of football Damien Comolli confirming the club are streamlining their squad, and a return to Belgium is probable.
The 30-year-old has dined with members of the Anderlecht hierarchy and was impressed with what he heard as he considers the next move in his career.
Jovanovic told Sport/Foot Magazine: "I'm still under contract with Liverpool, but we already agreed that I can leave for free and that I can find myself a new club.
"And I can tell you that I already had a meeting with Anderlecht officials, it was quite interesting. I had dinner with the club president and director of sport.
"We will see what will happen, but Anderlecht remains an interesting option."
Earlier on Friday, Liverpool, who fly to the Far East on Sunday to begin a pre-season tour, confirmed that teenage defender John Flanagan has signed a contract extension.