NextGen kicks-off

Disappointing night for British clubs in European competition

Last Updated: 01/09/11 2:29pm

  • Share:

The inaugural NextGen Series, the international football tournament where 16 of the world's best clubs showcase their stars of the future, kicked off on Wednesday night with matches held in Liverpool, Marseille, Basel and Amsterdam.

Results from Wednesday 17th

Ajax 2-0 Aston Villa Basel 2-2 Tottenham Hotspur Liverpool 0-3 Sporting Lisbon Marseille 1-0 Celtic Molde 3-1 Wolfsburg

Liverpool 0 Sporting Lisbon 3

Sporting kicked off their inaugural Nextgen Series campaign with a 3-0 win over Liverpool at Anfield. Goals from Joao Teixeira, Alberto Coelho and Farley Rosa put the Portuguese in control of Group 2, a result which will leave Liverpool looking for points on the road. Sporting were hugely impressive against a Liverpool side which could not deal with their movement and tight passing game.

Marseille 1 Celtic 0

Celtic kicked-off their NextGen campaign with a disappointing result on their travels across the channel. A highly-rated Marseille side stole the spoils courtesy of Maman Bangoura's effort in the sixth minute as Celtic's youngsters were caught cold. The Glasgow giants rallied after the break as they chased a leveller but ultimately fell just short.

FC Basel 2 Tottenham 2

The Swiss hosts flew out the blocks scoring two quick goals inside eight minutes through Pak and Maroufi leaving Tottenham looking shell shocked. Spurs pulled one back soon after however through starlet Harry Kane after they were awarded a penalty for a rash challenge in the box. After the break, it was Tottenham who came out firing on all cylinders with Shaquile Coulthirst drawing them level after 46 minutes. The full time whistle came with both sides pressing for a winner but it remained 2-2 after chances for both sides.

Ajax 2 Aston Villa 0

Ajax started the game brightly with plenty of possession and looked the more dangerous of the sides after the opening sparring. The Dutch were rewarded for their fine play with a goal coming after 17 minutess when a ball was played down the inside left channel to De Bendt who shot across the keeper and into the far corner. Half-time saw Viktor Fischer replace goalscorer de Bondt and it was only a matter of minutes before the striker had a goal himself after he cut in from the left and slotted cooly past the keeper to make it 2-0 after 49 minutes.

  • Share: