Rooney wants new striker
United star keen for club to bolster in the summer
Last Updated: 09/05/10 2:12pm
Rooney: Feels United need to spend
Wayne Rooney has called on Manchester United to open the cheque book and buy a big-name striker for next season.
The England star has enjoyed his most prolific campaign to date, being hailed PFA Player of the Year in the process, but that has not stopped him asking for support up front.
United head into the final day of the Premier League season having scored 82 goals this term, which is 14 more than last year but 13 less than rivals Chelsea.
The defending champions look likely to lose their crown to Chelsea later on Sunday and Rooney feels they need to bolster their front tine if they are to reclaim the title.
"If we can bring in two big-name players in it would give us a good chance of getting the league back if Chelsea do win it," he told The People.
"If you look at the team in 1999 that won the treble we had four forwards, all capable of scoring goals.
"Now there is me, (Dimitar) Berbatov and Michael Owen. There is Federico Macheda too, but if we can get one more top forward in it would give us the right balance."
Speculation is rife that a number of clubs are planning audacious attempts to prise Rooney away from Old Trafford - although United are highly unlikely to sell him at any price. And the 24-year-old is happy to remain in Manchester.
He added: "I have two years left on my current contract so talks haven't started yet on a new one. But I am sure after the World Cup we will sit down and speak about a new deal."
Rooney, who is recovering from ankle and groin injuries, has had a fantastic season which has seen him notch 34 goals in all competitions.
His stunning form means United have barely registered the absence of Cristiano Ronaldo, who left to Real Madrid last summer, and Rooney is expecting more of the same next year.
He added: "I've been disappointed with the last month of the season with injuries but overall I am more than happy with the number of goals I have scored this season.
"The manager told me he would be playing me more up front and I knew that with Ronaldo and (Carlos) Tevez leaving I would have to score more goals.
"To score so many this time was fantastic - but it's still not my best season. I once scored 76 in a season when I was 11.
"But it's my best as a professional and I know the expectation will be there for me to do it again next season."
United still have faint hopes of retaining their Premier League crown and will do so if they beat Stoke and Wigan can get a result at Chelsea.
However, Rooney believes their season should not be regarded as a failure if they end the campaign with only the Carling Cup.
He said: "Considering some of the problems we have had this season, like losing Cristiano Ronaldo and Carlos Tevez from the squad, we have done well still to be fighting for the title.
"We have battled on and to still have a chance to win the League after the defeats we have had and the injuries to Rio Ferdinand and Nemanja Vidic is some achievement.
"I look back to the times when we have done well, especially in some important games like at AC Milan in the Champions League, in the derby games against Manchester City, and away games at Arsenal and Tottenham. I know we have performed at a high level."