King agrees Coventry deal
Thorn delighted striker will be part of his plans for next season
Last Updated: June 3, 2011 2:18pm
Marlon King has accepted the offer of a new contract to stay at Coventry City and will put pen-to-paper upon his return from a summer break.
The striker impressed at the Ricoh Arena last season after scoring 12 goals in 28 Championship appearances and he had been linked with a move to Leicester City.
However, the 31-year-old has agreed to stay with the Sky Blues and manager Andy Thorn is delighted to be hanging on to King.
Thorn told the Coventry Telegraph: "It's fantastic news - it's made my holiday.
"Marlon rang and said: 'I've got some bad news for you - it looks as if you're stuck with me for the next couple of years'.
"Marlon rang and said: 'I've got some bad news for you - it looks as if you're stuck with me for the next couple of years'."
Andy Thorn Quotes of the week
"He said there's no way he could sign for anybody else and he can't wait to start the new season."
Coventry chairman Ken Dulieu added on the club's official website: "We promised supporters that we would do everything we could to keep the best players here at Coventry City and this is a great step towards that.
"We regard Marlon as pivotal to our objective of building a team capable of competing effectively in the Championship and hope this also sends a strong signal to the other players that we are talking to about our ambition for the club.
"That's why we offered him the best deal possible to remain at Coventry City and we are delighted that he has verbally accepted."