Powell happy to keep Benson
Addicks boss was being fair to striker after receiving offers
Last Updated: 03/09/11 1:38pm
Benson: Decided to stay at Charlton and has been challenged to fight for his place
Charlton Athletic manager Chris Powell is happy Paul Benson is still in his squad after the experienced striker failed to secure a deadline day move.
The Addicks had accepted offers of £150,000 for Benson, with Bournemouth and Bradford City battling it out to sign the 31-year-old.
However, no deal was reached before the transfer window closed on Wednesday and Powell is confident Benson still has a role to play at The Valley.
"I'm pleased that he stayed because for any team and any squad that is aspiring to get anywhere, you've got to be strong down your spine and be strong at centre-back, and you've got to have strikers and people that score the goals," Powell told the club's official website.
"You don't always want to rely on Bradley Wright-Phillips and Paul Hayes, who has come in and scored a couple of goals.
"Also, if you do let one leave the building, you have to make sure you have one coming in, and I wasn't really looking forward to him going.
"I was trying to be fair to Paul. A couple of clubs have said they wanted to give him a long-term contract and at his age of 31, almost 32, you've got to be fair to him.
"Benno sees this club as a club going places. He has looked at the other offers, but has also said he was not in a rush to go and I told him I wasn't in a rush to let him leave.
"He's here and we will see how it pans out. I'm sure he will get a chance, as we saw last week when we lost Bradley and Paul himself due to his fractured fingers. Then all of a sudden you are down to a couple of strikers, whereas before you were thinking 'I've got four, I'm OK'.
"I'm glad that he's here and I'm sure he will get a chance through suspension, injury or loss of form, and then it will be down to him to take it."