Wlad pulls out again

Second setback for British champ Chisora

Last Updated: 05/03/11 5:23pm

  • Share:
Wladimir Klitschko: abdominal injury

Wladimir Klitschko: abdominal injury

Sky Bet

Wladimir Klitschko has pulled out of his heavyweight world title fight against England's Dereck Chisora for the second time.

The Ukrainian scrapped a December bout against Chisora after suffering an abdominal injury, and Klitschko has now shelved a proposed clash on April 30, with the injury still causing him problems.

"I am very sorry for this final cancellation especially for the fans who had sold out the SAP Arena (in Mannheim)," said Klitschko.

Medical tests showed that Klitschko had not fully recovered from the injury he had sustained in training and the April date was too soon for a fight.

"As things stand now it is difficult to predict when he will have fully recovered. A fight in April with all the intensive preparation he needs is too big a risk," said Klitschko's doctor, Hans-Wilhelm Mueller-Wohlfahrt.

The 26-year-old Chisora beat Sam Sexton in September to add the Commonwealth heavyweight title to his British crown.

Zimbabwe-born Chisora has won all of his 14 fights as a professional, nine through knockout, compared to 34-year-old Klitschko's 55 wins and three defeats.

British champion Chisora now appears unlikely to face the IBF and WBO champion, as Klitschko's camp are believed to be in advanced talks with WBA champion David Haye about a possible unification fight in the summer.

  • Share:

Related

Most Popular

Features

Saturday stats

Saturday stats

With the help of Opta, we round up the best Premier League facts and stats from Saturday's football...

Van Gaal's best quotes

Van Gaal's best quotes

We look back at Louis van Gaal's Manchester United tenure, so far, in his own words.

Premier League questions

Premier League questions

We take a look at 10 questions that could be answered by the end of the Premier League midweek fixtures...