Magee eyes Danish hat-trick
Irishman out to add Kessler KO to wins over Markussen and Larsen
Last Updated: September 19, 2012 10:10am
Brian Magee is eyeing a proud hat-trick of Danish knock-outs when he takes on Mikkel Kessler later this year.
It was announced earlier this week that the Belfast southpaw had secured a fight with the 'Viking Warrior' in Denmark for the vacant WBA super-middleweight title.
Having previously stopped Rudy Markussen and Mads Larsen, 37-year-old Magee is looking forward to returning to the Scandinavian country to hand out more of the same in his latest fight, which is expected to take place sometime in late November or early December.
Magee told the Belfast Telegraph: "I am ready for the hat-trick of KOs.
"I've stopped Larsen, I've stopped Markussen and now it's Kessler's turn. He's a great fighter, no doubt about that, but I have the tools to break him. "
Brian Magee Quotes of the week
"I've stopped Larsen, I've stopped Markussen and now it's Kessler's turn. He's a great fighter, no doubt about that, but I have the tools to break him.
"He ran from a fight earlier in the year after he was ringside and witness to the destruction of Markussen but now I have him and he will go the same way.
"I have already commenced early training and I am working on a fight plan with my coach Bernardo Checa.
"Denmark has been good to me and I am happy to be going back."
Kessler, who boasts a fight record of 45 wins and just two losses, insists he will restore Danish pride by beating Magee.
He said: "I look forward to fighting Magee. He's a good boxer with a lot of heart. It takes something to come to Denmark and knock out both Mads and Rudy.
"But his winning streak will end when we meet. I am very keen to be world champion again and Magee cannot prevent this from happening.
"It will be interesting as I think it will be a little like a national team match, I am a proud Dane and this guy will take a beating for having knocked out my countrymen."