Shane Watson to continue playing Test cricket for Australia
Last Updated: March 18, 2013 6:55pm
Australia vice-captain Shane Watson has decided to continue playing Test cricket.
The 31-year-old, whose wife gave birth last week, said he was considering his future after being banned for the third Test against India.
Watson was axed, along with three other players, after failing to prepare feedback on how the team could improve and deliver it to management.
But after holding talks with team officials he has decided to return to India from Sydney for the fourth Test in Delhi which starts later this week.
"I've had several constructive discussions with team management back in Mohali over the past few days," said Watson, who will also be available for the Ashes double-header against England.
"We've spoken about how we are going to work together to move forward, as Australia attempts to climb back to the top of the ICC rankings.
"I've a burning ambition to be an Australian Test player for as long as I can be and help Australia win those big Test series as well as the big ICC tournaments.
"I'm looking forward to getting around the boys again and concentrating on moving forward. I'm entirely committed to the team and being the best player I can be."
Head coach Mickey Arthur said: "Shane's recommitment to the team in his chats with me this week have been really positive.
"We're looking forward to having Watto back and around the group as we prepare for the fourth Test."