Floyd shoots down Shane
'Money' talks down chance of Mosley fighting him next
Last Updated: 28/09/09 1:57pm
Mayweather: No-go for Mosley
Floyd Mayweather Jr has talked down any chance of him fighting WBA welterweight champion Shane Mosley after the pair squared up last week in Las Vegas.
"In 1999, we tried to fight Shane 10 years ago and he turned the fight down and then in 2006 when he fought Fernando Vargas, right after the fight he said he had a toothache and he wanted to go on vacation with his family."
Floyd Mayweather Jr Quotes of the week
Mosley was in the ring immediately after Mayweather had clinically beaten Juan Manuel Marquez, and interrupted the post-fight interview to try and challenge the pound-for-pound king.
Mosley is a junior partner in Oscar De La Hoya's Golden Boy Promotions company, which co-promoted the event at the MGM Grand Garden Arena.
Mayweather had just returned to the ring for the first time since knocking out Ricky Hatton in December 2007 and he stretched his unbeaten professional record to 40-0 (25 KOs) with an impressive victory over his Mexican rival.
Mosley won his welterweight title by beating Antonio Margarito in January and he angered 'Money' Mayweather with his actions after the Marquez fight last week.
However, speaking on HBO television in America, Mayweather distanced himself from wanting to fight the 38-year-old Mosley next.
"I guess Bernard Hopkins (also a Golden Boy junior partner) told Shane Mosley to get in the ring and be disrespectful but like I said before, Shane Mosley is a good fighter, I wish him nothing but the best in his career and the only thing I want to do is continue to be the best I can be in my career," said Mayweather.
"In 1999, we tried to fight Shane 10 years ago and he turned the fight down and then in 2006 when he fought Fernando Vargas, right after the fight he said he had a toothache and he wanted to go on vacation with his family.
"I guess now that he's 38 and his career is coming to an end and everybody knows they can make huge money with Floyd Mayweather, everybody is shooting shots at me.
"But I wish Shane Mosley nothing but the best in his career."
Mayweather is believed to be waiting to face the winner of the Manny Pacquiao-Miguel Cotto fight which takes place in Las Vegas on November 14 with Pacquaio the more lucrative possibility.
He added: "They're both good fighters but it's not about the money, it's for the love of the sport. I love the sport of boxing but of course it's got to make business sense.
"I just want to keep fighting. Leonard (Ellerbe) and Al (Heyman) handle my business outside the ring and when it's time to get inside that square circle that's when I take care of my business."