Prohibit heads to Nunthorpe
Trainer confident decision to swerve Goodwood right one
Last Updated: August 9, 2011 3:07pm
Robert Cowell feels Prohibit goes to the Coolmore Nunthorpe Stakes as the "defending champion".
His charge was last seen when winning the King's Stand Stakes at Royal Ascot and the Group One contest on Friday week, worth £240,000, has been the target ever since.
Cowell said: "I'm really looking forward to York. We are there to be shot at now. In these five-furlong races, he is like the defending champion isn't he?
"We've never run him at York (although he did run once at the track for John Gosden), so I don't know how he will act there.
"But he has a good temperament and doesn't get lit up by much. So as long as there is good pace in the race I think he will run well.
"He doesn't want extremes of ground - a little bit of juice in it would be ideal. As far as I know, Jim Crowley will ride. I'm sure Jim will want to stick by the horse."
The King George Stakes at Glorious Goodwood had been under consideration for Prohibit but and the trainer believes it was a wise not decision to head there.
"We missed the race at Goodwood simply because having a 7lb penalty on that very, very fast track might not have been ideal," he said.
"He looks very well and he seems fresh. He has really had a good rest and hopefully that will have done him some good - he had been 'on the go' for quite some time.
"He did a pretty decent gallop on the Cambridge Road polytrack last Friday. He worked very well, moved nicely and took a bit of pulling up, so he is in good order.
"Having not run since Royal Ascot, he will have another piece of work this week - possibly on Thursday - and then maybe a piece on Monday. I will see how he canters on Wednesday."