Barca to 'fight' for Fabregas
Laporta determined to sign Arsenal captain next summer
Last Updated: 17/12/09 8:52am
Fabregas: Barca target
Barcelona president Joan Laporta says a decision will be made in the spring about how much the European champions will offer Arsenal for Cesc Fabregas.
The Spain international started out at Barcelona before joining Arsenal as a 16-year-old and he has regularly been linked with a return to Camp Nou.
Though Fabregas has continued to stress his commitment to the Gunners, Laporta has previously identified the midfielder as a 'special case'.
Laporta has again outlined his determination to sign the Arsenal captain next summer amid suggestions Barca will offer £40million for the 22-year-old.
"Cesc Fabregas is desired by us for many reasons," Laporta is quoted by The Sun. "Barcelona have decided to fight for the kid for next season.
"The money? This will be decided at the end of March to prepare for a deal.
"Cesc is such a big player. Our intention is to convince the Londoners about the sale.
"It won't be easy, but we have good relations with the Gunners."
Meanwhile, Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger is unsure how long Fabregas will be sidelined after suffering a hamstring injury against Burnley.
Fabregas opened the scoring in Wednesday's 1-1 draw before being replaced and will definitely miss Saturday's game against Hull City.
Wenger said: "He is injured, but for how long I don't know. It is a hamstring. He will not play on Saturday."