Odesnik accepts suspension
Wayne Odesnik has accepted "a voluntary provisional suspension" from all events, the International Tennis Federation said on Monday.
By Rachel Griffiths
Last Updated: 19/04/10 11:15am
American Wayne Odesnik has accepted "a voluntary provisional suspension" from all events, including the Grand Slams and other ATP-sanctioned tournaments.
The 24-year-old was caught with eight vials of human growth hormone (HGH), each containing six milligrams of the substance, by customs officers in Australia in January.
Odesnik pleaded guilty to importing the HGH in an Australian court in March and was fined more than $7,000 (around £4,500), but has not tested positive for a banned substance.
The International Tennis Federation said on Monday that the suspension began last Friday, and will run until his case, currently being investigated by the Tennis Anti-Doping Programme, is finished and an independent tribunal has reached its decision.
"Wayne Odesnik has accepted a voluntary provisional suspension from all events covered under the Tennis Anti-Doping Program," said the ITF.
"In accordance with normal policy, the ITF does not intend to make further comment on this matter until its resolution."
The ITF is a signatory to the World Anti-Doping Authority's code under which a two-year suspension can be given for possession of banned substances.
Odesnik has denied taking the prohibited substance, and controversially continued to play on the ATP Tour despite his plea and resulting fine, reaching the semi-finals of the US Men's Clay Court Championships earlier in April.
The ITF said last week it would review the rules that had prevented it from suspending Odesnik.
The governing body of tennis can only provisionally suspend players who are being investigated for a failed doping test under the current rules.
However, players cannot be prevented from playing while they are investigated for other suspected doping offences, such as possession of a prohibited substance.