Manny Pacquiao 'confirms' talks over Floyd Mayweather rematch

Image: Manny Pacquiao (right) says he is in talks over a rematch with Floyd Mayweather

Manny Pacquiao has claimed he is in negotiations over a rematch with Floyd Mayweather.

Advertisement

Pacquiao's promoter Bob Arum confirmed on Monday that the Filipino intends to retire from boxing after his next fight, scheduled to take place on April 9

An opponent for the bout is yet to be announced, although Britain's Amir Khan and WBO super-lightweight champion Terence Crawford have previously been suggested as potential opponents. 

But Pacquiao has indicated talks are underway to secure another shot at Mayweather. 

"I don't know yet who's my opponent next but we're still negotiating right now about the rematch with Floyd Mayweather so hoping for that," the 36-year-old announced via his official Facebook page.  

Image: Pacquiao underwent surgery to repair his injured shoulder following defeat to Mayweather

Pacquiao has not fought since his unanimous points decision loss to Mayweather in May and has since undergone surgery to repair a torn rotator cuff in his right shoulder. 

Mayweather confirmed his retirement from boxing following his victory over Andre Berto in September, a win which took his unbeaten record to 49-0 and put him level in the record books with legendary heavyweight champion Rocky Marciano. 

Advertisement

Mayweather Promotions chief executive Leonard Ellerbe said on Monday the 38-year-old would not be making a return to the ring. 

Image: Mayweather has continually insisted he will not make a return to boxing following his retirement

He tweeted from his official Twitter account: "Floyd Mayweather is RETIRED, end of discussion."

If Mayweather does decide to cut short his retirement, the date of the fight may provide a stumbling block. 

Mayweather has not fought outside the months of May and September since his knockout victory over Britain's Ricky Hatton in December 2007.

Outbrain