Floyd Mayweather Sr advises son to retire rather than take 'easy' fights
Last Updated: 15/07/15 1:06pm
Floyd Mayweather Sr has urged his son to retire rather than take 'easy' fights amid reports he will face Andre Berto on September 12.
The unbeaten welterweight king (48-0-KO26) was last in action in May when outpointing Manny Pacquiao in a record-breaking Las Vegas bout – but his next opponent is yet to be officially confirmed.
Mayweather Jr hinted last month that Karim Mayfield and Berto were the men in the running to secure the lucrative September bout but, with both having been defeated twice in their last four fights, the news was met with criticism from boxing fans.
As the likes of world champions Kell Brook and Keith Thurman, as well as Amir Khan, continue to express interest in facing Mayweather Jr, his father has warned against facing lesser opponents.
Floyd told me he just wants to get a couple of easy fights. My honest opinion, if he feels that way, he should get on out of the game.
Floyd Mayweather Sr
In an interview reported on Mlive.com, Mayweather Sr said: "Floyd told me he just wants to get a couple of easy fights.
"My honest opinion, if he feels that way, he should get on out of the game."
He added: "Anybody's body, 20 years, anybody's body gets tired – and it's been every day of 20 years, and longer, for my son."
Khan appeared to accept defeat in his quest for a showdown with Mayweather Jr via social media.
He said: "Heard it's Berto. Good luck to my boy Berto. He's a good kid regardless."
Mayweather Jr, now 38, made his professional debut in 1996.