George Groves to decide on future after third world title defeat
Last Updated: 16/09/15 4:01pm
George Groves will take time out to decide on his future after suffering a third world title defeat at the hands of Badou Jack.
The Londoner lost a split decision to the WBC super-middleweight champion in Las Vegas at the weekend and stormed out of the ring in disgust after the judges' scorecards were read out.
Groves (21-3-KO16), who recovered from a first-round knockdown to take Swedish-born Jack close, famously lost his previous two attempts to claim a world championship belt to domestic rival Carl Froch and admits emotions are running high.
He said in a statement: "Firstly I would like to thank everyone who showed me so much support for the fight last week, especially the British fans who travelled out for it.
"Ultimately it doesn't matter how you lose a world title fight, the feeling is much the same. I lost a split decision as the challenger away from home after being knocked down in the very first round.
Ultimately it doesn't matter how you lose a world title fight, the feeling is much the same.
"I came very close to achieving a lifelong goal but it wasn't to be. I'm now going to spend some time with my family and decide upon my future."
Groves' promoter Kalle Sauerland said: "After the worst of starts George showed not only skill but immense bravery to a split point decision which could easily have gone for him, certainly had the fight been on home turf.
"Fighting away from home was always going to be the case as challenger but I still feel some of the scoring was out. He won many fans on the other side of the pond and showed again that he belongs at world level.
"We will sit together as a team in the coming weeks to plot the best path."
Reports prior to the fight suggested victory for Groves would set up a world title unification rematch bout with IBF champion James DeGale, who revealed on Monday he would still consider taking the fight but at more favourable terms.