Jolyon Palmer topped the opening day of GP2 testing in Abu Dhabi
Briton makes perfect start to life at DAMS
By William Esler
Last Updated: 11/03/14 4:47pm
Despite dirty track conditions, the 23-year-old set a time of 1:49.126 which would have been good enough for the front row of the grid at the 2013 season finale.
Mitch Evans was the only driver to get close to Palmer as he finished a tenth shy of the DAMS driver on his debut for reigning Teams' Champions Russian Time. Stephane Richelmi in the second DAMS car was third fastest, albeit six tenths slower than his team-mate.
McLaren protégé Stoffel Vandoorme was in action for ART Grand Prix, completing the most mileage of any driver, racking up 56 laps in total, as he adjusts the GP2/11 having finished as runner up in Formula Renault 3.5 last year. The Belgian finished the day with the fifth fastest time.
The three-day test continues on Wednesday at the Yas Marina Circuit, with the session getting underway at 5am GMT.
Morning session - Top ten
1. Rio Haryanto - Caterham Racing - 1:50.862 - Laps 13
2. Alexander Rossi - Caterham Racing - 1:51.135 - Laps 12
3. Jolyon Palmer - DAMS - 1:51.232 - Laps 11
4. Stephane Richelmi - DAMS - 1:51.479 - Laps 11
5. Felipe Nasr - Carlin - 1:51.590 - Laps 16
6. Johnny Cecotto - Trident - 1:51.599 - Laps 9
7. Julian Leal - Carlin - 1:51.609 - Laps 12
8. Jon Lancaster - MP Motorsport - 1:51.765 - Laps 13
9. Rene Binder - Arden International - 1:51.893 - Laps 9
10. Mitch Evans - Russian Time - 1:51.928 - Laps 17
Afternoon session - Top ten
1. Jolyon Palmer - DAMS - 1:49.126 - Laps 24
2. Mitch Evans - Russian Time - 1:49.292 - Laps 13
3. Stephane Richelmi - DAMS - 1:49.756 - Laps 28
4. Daniel Abt - Hilmer Motorsport - 1:49.777 - Laps 22
5. Stoffel Vandoorne - ART Grand Prix - 1:49.790 - Laps 28
6. Johnny Cecotto - Trident - 1:49.892 - Laps 19
7. Felipe Nasr - Carlin - 1:49.896 - Laps 29
8. Stefano Coletti - Racing Engineering - 1:49.963 - Laps 23
9. Alexander Rossi - Caterham Racing - 1:50.018 - Laps 25
10. Arthur Pic - Campos Racing - 1:50.204 - Laps 19