Liverpool vs Brighton preview
Watch match highlights at 5.15pm on skysports.com and the Sky Sports app
Last Updated: 29/11/19 5:12pm
Team news, key stats and prediction ahead of Liverpool vs Brighton in the Premier League.
Liverpool midfielder Fabinho will be out for more than a month after suffering ankle ligament damage during this week's Champions League clash with Napoli, meaning he will play no part in their congested run of 10 games between now and the end of December.
Fellow midfielder Naby Keita has recovered from illness but centre-back Joel Matip faces another scan on a knee problem which has kept him out since October 20.
Brighton manager Graham Potter will be boosted by the return of two key players, with Lewis Dunk available after missing the 2-0 defeat to Leicester last weekend due to suspension. Talented young forward Aaron Connolly should feature too after recovering from a groin injury.
However, the Seagulls are set to be without Solly March and although Bernardo featured for the U23s on Wednesday, he is still lacking match-fitness.
How to follow
Follow the action with our dedicated live blog. Highlights of the game will be published at 5.15pm on the Sky Sports website and app plus the Sky Sports Football YouTube channel.
- Liverpool have won their last seven meetings with Brighton in all competitions, scoring 22 goals and conceding just five.
- Brighton have lost eight of their 10 away league games against Liverpool (W1 D1), with their only victory coming in the top flight in March 1982 (1-0).
- Liverpool are unbeaten in 30 Premier League games (W25 D5). If they avoid defeat here it would see them equal their all-time longest unbeaten run in top-flight history, when they went 31 games without defeat between May 1987-March 1988.
- Liverpool have won their last 13 Premier League home games, their longest such run in the competition. Indeed, only between January-December 1972 have they won more consecutive top-flight home games (21).
- Since winning 3-0 at Watford on the opening weekend, Brighton are winless in five Premier League away games (D1 L4), losing each of their last three. They last lost four in a row on the road in May/August 2018, the fourth game of which was at Liverpool.
- Liverpool have the biggest difference in shots on target compared to shots on target faced in the Premier League this season (45 - 81 to 36), while only Norwich (-35) have a bigger negative difference than Brighton (-25 - 43 to 68).
- The opening goal in the last three meetings between Liverpool and Brighton in the Premier League has been scored by Mohamed Salah. The Reds won both meetings 1-0 last season thanks to Salah's strikes.
- Sadio Mane has scored 17 goals in his last 16 Premier League games at Anfield. Indeed, since the start of last season the Senegalese has scored more home goals than any other player in the Premier League (22).
- Jurgen Klopp's last home league defeat as Liverpool manager came against Sam Allardyce's Crystal Palace in April 2017. Since then, the German is unbeaten in his last 26 Premier League meetings with English managers (W22 D4), winning the last 16 in a row.
- There are three examples of a player creating 10+ chances for a specific team-mate in the Premier League this season - two of these are Trent Alexander-Arnold (13 for Roberto Firmino, 10 for Sadio Mane). The other is Kevin De Bruyne for Sergio Aguero (11).
Charlie Nicholas' prediction
Looking at the fixture congestion, I keep picking an awkwardness and struggle for Liverpool. Crystal Palace was a struggle for them and they got lucky, which they have done on a few occasions. They look at this and it is about getting the job done.
Mohamed Salah has had a rest and will turn up here. We may see one of the other three get a little rest. People may find it strange, but Liverpool want to win the Club World Cup. Would they rather have the Premier League? Of course. When it is there, the rare opportunities you get, you must go at it with high nature, especially a club with the history of Liverpool.
They will get the job done and they will do it convincingly. What type of Brighton team are we going to see or how do they approach this? Liverpool will get to 60 minutes and get another box ticked. The job will be done professionally and on to the next they go.
CHARLIE PREDICTS: 3-0 (13/2 with Sky Bet)
Super 6: Liverpool to keep it clean?
Over 70% of Super 6 players are backing Liverpool to win to nil against Brighton, despite failing to keep a clean sheet in their last 11 matches in all competitions. What score will you predict, with £250k on the line? Play here for free
You cannot see past captaining or bringing in Sadio Mane (£11.5m) for this clash. He has 37 points in his last four matches and 103 for the campaign, placing him in third position in the charts. Play Fantasy Football for free here.
The Premier League action keeps coming - make sure you don't miss a thing by signing up for goal alerts with the Sky Sports Score Centre app.
This season, you also can watch Premier League match highlights for free - without being a Sky Sports subscriber. You'll find highlights from every Premier League game - from 5.15pm on a Saturday or shortly after full-time on other days - in the Score Centre, as well as on the Sky Sports website and app plus the Sky Sports Football YouTube channel.
You can follow dedicated live blogs of every Premier League game on the Sky Sports website and app and track goals as they go in with our vidiprinter page.