Rafael Callejas of Honduras enters guilty plea in FIFA corruption case
Last Updated: 28/03/16 6:31pm
Rafael Callejas, former president of Honduras, has pleaded guilty to racketeering and wire fraud charges as part of the FIFA corruption scandal.
Callejas has been in the United States on bail since leaving Honduras last year to face justice on two counts, which carry a maximum sentence of 20 years in jail.
The 72-year-old served as president of Honduras from 1990 to 1994 and was head of the country's football federation until last August - he faced eight charges of racketeering, fraud and money laundering.
He appeared in a Brooklyn, New York, court on Monday and entered his guilty plea when asked by Magistrate Judge Robert Levy.
Callejas was previously a member of FIFA's television and marketing committee and told Judge Levy he had accepted bribes and distributed some of the money to others - he also confirmed he knew what he was doing was wrong.
As part of the plea, he agreed to forfeit $650,000 (£457,000) - $180,000 (£127,000) to be paid within one week and the balance due within 12 months, prosecutors said during the 25-minute hearing.