Tuesday 31 May 2016 00:15, UK
Former France international David Ginola has returned home from hospital after having a quadruple heart bypass operation.
The 49-year-old had the surgery after suffering a heart attack while out playing football with friends.
Ginola confirmed on Twitter that he is now recovering, saying: "Home at last! Thanks so much to all of you for your incredible messages of love and affection! They do help my recovery."
The surgeon from Centre Cardio-Thoracique de Monaco where Ginola was treated, told Sky Sports News HQ that the player would make a full recovery.
Professor Gilles Dreyfus said: "The operation was a success he is now awake, talking and has been seen by his family. There is no brain damage, no impaired heart function and he should make a full recovery."
Professor Dreyfus also added that the former Newcastle and Tottenham player had been very lucky that his friends and the emergency services had been so quick to react.
"The emergency services arrived within eight minutes. He was shocked with a defibrillator several times to establish a regular heart beat," he said.
"He is very lucky. He had almost the perfect chain of events after collapse to give him the best chance of a full recovery."
Ginola made over 195 Premier League appearances for Newcastle, Tottenham, Aston Villa and Everton over a seven-year period.
He retired in 2002 and has since worked as a pundit and occasionally as an actor.