QPR boss Harry Redknapp claims Sandro signed from Spurs on cut-price deal

Image: Sandro: Made his QPR debut at the weekend

Harry Redknapp has suggested that Tottenham rejected a significant rival bid for Sandro before allowing the midfielder to join QPR in a cut-price deal.

The 25-year-old Brazilian completed a £10million move to QPR on deadline day and manager Redknapp admitted he was ‘surprised’ by Spurs’ willingness to let him leave White Hart Lane.

Sandro is thought to have attracted interest from Zenit St Petersburg in the summer, with Redknapp claiming the Russian club offered "four or five million more" than QPR, but is glad to be reunited with the player who featured under him during his reign at Tottenham.

"I was surprised we were able to get him, to be honest, and that he wasn't playing more," said Redknapp.

"I think Tottenham turned down a big bid from Zenit just before the start of the season. It was certainly four or five million more than we paid for him.

"So I couldn't be more pleased to have him, he's a great character, a good lad and I think he'll be a great player for QPR."

The South American made his debut in Sunday’s 4-0 defeat at Manchester United, playing 74 minutes before appearing to be hampered by cramp, and Redknapp admits he still needs time to reach full match fitness.

"I don't know long he'll need to be up to full speed," he said. "But he hadn't played at all and there's nothing like matches, until you get on the pitch you can't bring it all together.

"It's taking on the nerves, the adrenaline, all the training in the world doesn't compensate for playing in 90-minute games, and that's what several of them lacked.

"Sandro will be fitter on Saturday than he was last week and he's going to be a great player for us."

Upgrade to Sky Sports to watch all three days of the Ryder Cup live on our dedicated channel

Around Sky