Luis Enrique signs a one-year contract extension with Barcelona

Luis Enrique, Bayern Munich v Barcelona, Champions League
Image: Luis Enrique: Barcelona boss has signed a new deal

Barcelona head coach Luis Enrique has signed a one-year contract extension with the European champions.

The former Barca and Real Madrid midfielder agreed terms on a deal which will keep him at the Nou Camp until 2017.

Enrique enjoyed a glittering first season at the club after returning to the Catalan capital, winning the Spanish League and the Spanish Cup before completing the treble with a Champions League victory over Juventus.

"We have sealed the renewal of Luis Enrique's contract until 2017, so we will have Luis Enrique for two more years," Barcelona president Josep Maria Bartomeu told a news conference.

The 45-year-old had previously refused to commit himself to the club beyond the end of the current campaign.

"The truth is I don't know if I will continue (next season). The season isn't over yet, we have a long night ahead of us," he said ahead of the Champions League final on Saturday.

However, having matched the achievements of former boss Pep Guardiola in his first season, Enrique has put an end to the speculation and will continue at Barcelona for the next year, at least.

Enrique told Barcelona's website: "How could we be anything other than very happy? After the last year we've experienced, with difficulties but with a great final result, we're more than excited about returning in the hope of winning titles.

"Anything that comes close will be more than exciting."

Enrique replaced Tata Martino last summer and made a spectacular impact as Barcelona became the first club ever in Europe to win a treble twice. Guardiola's treble was six years ago.

He was able to bring in Luis Suarez last summer to form part of a three-man frontline, alongside Lionel Messi and Neymar, that terrorised defences in Spain and across Europe.

The treble was secured by Barcelona's 3-1 win over Juventus in Berlin on Saturday.

Barcelona confirmed later on Tuesday evening that, as expected, Bartomeu and 15 other members of the club's board had officially resigned from their positions.

The resignations, which were approved at the final board meeting of the season, were required by protocol in order to call new elections this summer, in which Bartomeu is set to seek re-election.

Ramon Adell, chairman of the economic commission, will act as club president in the interim.

Around Sky