Man City vs Tottenham preview: Pep Guardiola reminds side title race still in their hands
Watch Manchester City vs Tottenham live on Sky Sports Premier League from 11.30am on Saturday; Kick-off at 12.30pm
Last Updated: 20/04/19 11:14am
Pep Guardiola reminded his players the title race is in their hands as they look to bounce back from their Champions League exit with a third game against Tottenham in 12 days.
Still reeling from their 4-4 away goals defeat to Spurs in the Champions League on Wednesday night, Guardiola's players must avoid feeling sorry for themselves and "stand up" to avoid allowing Liverpool to extend their lead at the top of the Premier League, the Manchester City boss said.
Their defeat came in the cruellest fashion, with a last-minute winner from Raheem Sterling ruled out by VAR, ending any hope of achieving a first ever domestic quadruple - but City can get some revenge live on Sky Sports this Saturday lunchtime when the two go head-to-head in the Premier League.
Speaking after the defeat on Wednesday night, Guardiola said: "We have to stand up, we have to react. Of course it's a close time, the same team but now it's time to don't think too much right now. Try to sleep as much as possible. I don't know how much.
"Sleep well, tomorrow recovery and the day before the game we're going to prepare the game. Of course you have to stand up. We fought a lot nine, 10 months for the Premier League. It's still there in our hands. Of course it's tough, it's tough but you have to do it until the end."
Despite Tottenham knocking Manchester City out of the Champions League, Mauricio Pochettino said the need for Premier League points rather than revenge will be key for Pep Guardiola's side when they meet for the fourth time this season, with City winning twice and Tottenham once.
"We are going to play in a different competition and they are fighting for the Premier League. They are not going for revenge, they are going to fight for the three points, like us.
"We want to be in the next Champions League and be in the top four at the end of the season.
"It's going to be another battle and we are going to fight to achieve the three points."
Fernandinho could return from a muscular strain to start in midfield for City after starting on the bench against Spurs in midweek.
Full-back Oleksandr Zinchenko (hamstring) will be assessed ahead of kick-off.
Moussa Sissoko was forced off just before half-time in the Champions League game with a groin problem.
Both he and Erik Lamela (hamstring) are due to be assessed, while another midfielder - England international Eric Dier - is expected to return to first team training over the weekend.
Meanwhile, Harry Kane has begun his rehabilitation from an ankle injury.
- Manchester City have won each of their last three Premier League games against Tottenham, the Citizens are looking to equal their competition best run of four successive wins versus Spurs.
- Tottenham have only won one of their last eight visits to the Etihad (W1 D1 L6), conceding 23 goals in this period (2.9 per game).
- Tottenham are looking to become the first team since Liverpool in 2008-09 to win away in the Premier League against both Manchester clubs in the same season.
- None of Manchester City's last 25 Premier League games have ended level, the longest current run in the competition. The Citizens have won 21 of those 25 games (L4), including each of the last nine.
- No side has won more points in Premier League games between the 'big six' this season than Man City (19), while only Manchester United (6) have won fewer points than Spurs (7).
- Tottenham have lost each of their last four away league games, conceding two goals each time. They last lost more in a row on the road in the top-flight between March and May 2004 under David Pleat (6).
- Mauricio Pochettino has only tasted victory in one of his five Premier League trips to the Etihad (W1 D1 L3), a 2-1 win in February 2016 against Manuel Pellegrini's Man City.
- Man City striker Sergio Aguero has failed to score in each of his last six Premier League appearances against Tottenham after scoring 10 in his first seven.
- Sergio Aguero has scored 19 Premier League goals for Man City this season - one more will see him become just the second player to score 20+ Premier League goals in five consecutive campaigns, after Thierry Henry (between 2001-02 and 2005-06).
- Tottenham have won all five of their Premier League games without Harry Kane this season. They last lost without the England striker taking part against Manchester United back in October 2017.
I can't seen anything other than a Man City win. Spurs don't have the biggest squad in the world and the other night will have taken a lot out of them. I think both teams changing things up will still result in a City win.
It is not a matter of revenge. It is a strange one because if you would have asked them last week City would rather have won the Champions League and Liverpool the league. Now it could be the other way around.
Tottenham could easily rest players for this game and then just make sure they beat Brighton. With their injuries, they need to start prioritising their games now, and look at what games they will win and which they are less likely to win. It is not every day they get to a Champions League semi-final. They will rest players after such a quick turnaround.
PAUL PREDICTS: 3-0