Manchester United will continue to pursue a deal to sign Southampton's Morgan Schneiderlin despite being on the verge of bringing in Bastian Schweinsteiger, according to Sky sources.
United are expected to complete a deal for the Germany international from Bayern Munich this weekend, and several English newspapers have speculated that it could mean the end of their interest in Schneiderlin.
But sources have told Sky Sports News HQ that an ambitious United will continue strengthening their midfield and Schneiderlin is a priority, having had one bid turned down for the Frenchman already this summer.
Saints boss Ronald Koeman confirmed last week there had been no further bids Schneiderlin midfielder since United's initial £20million offer last month. Sky sources understand Saints want at least £25m for the player.
Koeman, whose side did not include Schneiderlin in a friendly against Red Bull Salzburg in Austria this weekend, has said he would like the midfielder's future to be sorted as soon as possible, after he missed the first day of pre-season training.
Koeman recently played down reports that Schneiderlin had already agreed an exit strategy, saying the midfielder missed pre-season training because of illness after consulting a doctor, and that he would make the trip to Austria.
But he was not in the team to face Valencia in their second tournament match on Saturday afternoon.