John Stones offer likely to be increased by Chelsea

John Stones and Marco van Ginkel in action at the Asia Trophy
Image: John Stones in action for Everton at the Asia Trophy

Sky Sports News HQ understands that Chelsea are likely to make an increased offer for Everton defender John Stones.

The Premier League champions, who are currently in Montreal preparing for three pre-season matches in the United States, have had an initial bid of £20m for the England international rejected.

Everton insist the player is not for sale, but Chelsea are still hopeful of reaching an agreement to sign the 21-year-old.

Stones is currently in Singapore with Everton for the Asia Trophy and he expressed his contentment at the club on Thursday.

More from Transfer Headlines

He said: "I am very happy at Everton. My aim right now is to try to nail down a regular spot in this Everton team and hopefully that will take care of playing for England.

"I have to keep learning from the likes of Phil Jagielka and keep progressing at this club."

Image: Stones says he is content at Goodison Park

Stones was handed Everton’s No 5 shirt earlier this week – a number worn by former stalwart Dave Watson - and the Toffees see him as an integral member of their squad, with his current deal running until August 2019.

Around Sky