Rome to remain as final venue

William Gaillard says the venue for this term's Champions League final is unlikely to be changed.

Gaillard rues alleged attack but is confident showpiece will be safe

Uefa director of communications William Gaillard has told Sky Sports News that the venue for this season's UEFA Champions League final is unlikely to be changed. An Arsenal supporter is believed to have been stabbed after his minibus was attacked by Roma fans before Wednesday's Champions League last-16 second leg tie. Roma supporters started to attack the vehicle before one is alleged to have got on to the bus when the situation escalated. The victim was able to watch the game, which Arsenal won in a dramatic penalty shoot-out, after receiving medical care.

Arrangements

The incident has again raised questions over Rome's ability to stage this season's showpiece on 27th May at Stadio Olimpico, but Gaillard is confident the precautions in place will ensure a safe final for fans. Gaillard told Sky Sports News: "We certainly take last night's events seriously because a fan was injured. "There is absolutely no way that we are just going to take it for granted that everything will be fine. "But it is difficult to move such an event two months before it takes place. "We have made arrangements in Rome which include security and safety arrangements, which we believe will be satisfactory at the time of the final. "Moving to another place would probably put these arrangements in danger. So it would be less safe.
Special measures
"At the same time we will review the situation with the Italian police to make sure that on the day of the final, like we did last year in Moscow, we have a large number of police present. "There will be no Rome team in involved. There will be two teams from abroad and therefore a much more neutral context. "And with the special measures we are putting in place with Italian police, this should ensure that we have a good venue and a safe environment for the fans."

Around Sky